Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Observance


This Memorial Day weekend, I am reminded of six and a half years ago when a friend and I took our WWII veteran dads to Washington DC to visit the WWII Memorial. The dads were both celebrating 85th birthdays, and my friend and I looked forward to honoring them and celebrating with them.

I expected to enjoy the trip and the 'dad time', but I didn't anticipate being moved so deeply. As we toured the Memorial, on several occasions people would ask the dads if they were vets of 'the big war’. When our dads responded that they were, people would shake their hands and say "thank you". Men and women in uniform would stand at attention and offer a salute along with a few words of "thank you for your service".

During preparation for a tour of the Capitol building, the tour guide singled the dads out, confirmed their WWII vet status, and recognized them for their service. Upon being recognized, the whole tour group of maybe 75-100 people gave the dads a spontaneous standing ovation.

My friend and I got to hear our dads exchange war stories that we'd probably never otherwise have heard. These old soldiers and so many others endured more than we’ll ever know in service to their country. They, along with their 'brothers in arms' literally changed the world for the better.

The Greatest Generation, indeed! We owe them much.

Have a great Memorial Day.

No comments: