Monday, July 30, 2012

Breakfast on the Road

As part of our continuing process of relocating, I am on the road this week. I retrieved a car from our former home in Colorado and am now driving cross-country to Maine—a road trip of about 2700 miles, give or take.

This morning I was seated (along with a half dozen other similarly road wearied travelers) in a dimly lit ‘breakfast room’ at the hotel, enjoying one of those hotel “free breakfasts”.

As I downed my raisin bran and coffee, I overheard the following conversation between a late-40’s mother and her two late teen/early 20’s daughters who are also enjoying the hotel’s “free breakfast”. (This conversation takes place as the TV news plays in the background with pre-election coverage of Romney and Obama)

Mother ”I don’t know who to vote for, they’re both so lame..”

Daughter #1 “Yeah, they both suck“

Daugter # 2 “I don’t think I’ll even vote..

Mother “At least that Romney has good hair..”

Observing this fine example of the electorate really makes me wonder about the future of our democracy. We need not only good leaders (we need great leaders, actually), but we need engaged and reasonably perceptive voters. Not just people who will vote for a candidate because of their skin color or their good hair.

It is my sincere hope that Daughter #2 inspires her mother and her sibling to follow her example and decide to refrain from voting.

I’ve always heard that there is no ‘free lunch’, but there is, apparently “free breakfast”.

No comments: