Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 is Winding Down.



I have been reading Christmas letters and various e-mails from old friends as people reconnect at the end of the calendar year, and I've been struck with the realization that 'change' is in the air. Oh, that wouldn't be the kind of change that our President promised to deliver. It would be more the 'stage of life' changes creeping up on 'my g-g-genration' that get delivered whether we welcome those changes or not.

In the various communications that have crossed my path this month, I've been surprised to see the 'Christmas Letters' and 'year end notes' have morphed into 'health updates' of sorts. Less bragging on the kids' achievements, and more discussion of surgeries, illnesses, etc.

2010 will be the year that I can't continue to see myself as "in my 50's" anymore. And it would appear that my contemporaries are starting to show some wear and tear. One friend, who had a heart bypass surgery a couple years back writes of his newly diagnosed heart disease and how he will have to change his regimen. Another friend wrote of finding himself in the hospital with blood clots in both lungs (and this after having hip replacement surgery). Another friend of mine is no longer able to use his legs after botched back surgery. Another friend is facing potential liver transplant. And another has had thyroid trouble and cataract surgery. And another couple of friends are struggling with cancer. Tough stuff.

And all these folks are people in their late 50's or so. I am pretty sure we thought it couldn't happen to "us"--we're young, smart, healthy, upwardly mobile, or at least mobile. I believe we kind of expected it would stay that way indefinitely.

But, apparently, such is not the case. We have to adapt to new realities. And we have to make our course adjustments as we steer for the home harbor.

I am thankful for the good health enjoyed at present, and the blessings of life in general.

No comments: